Wednesday, August 26, 2009

DISCOVERING ORGANICS - A JOURNEY TOWARDSHEALTH AND INNER HEALING

Lucy Patten, from Eternal Harmony, shares her journed towards health

AS A WIFE AND MOTHER


I want my family to live healthy and happy lives. I am concerned about the many toxic chemicals that seem to bombard us everywhere we go and in most of the products that we use.


Have you ever wondered why so much money is spent on cancer research yet cancer rates just keep increasing? Why our planet is getting sicker and why so many people these days seem to be unwell and unhappy?


LOOKING BACK AT MY LIFE


About 15 years ago, things were very different. My fridge and pantry were full of processed, fatty and unhealthy foods. I drank soft drink by the litre. A fruit bowl was a nice way to decorate the table , vegetables were a token part of a meal and water was used for showering and growing the garden, not for drinking. Back then I was sick and tired. Most evenings I spent curled up on the couch, too tired to move, and would watch TV until I fell asleep. I was unhealthy and unhappy - my body and mind were overloaded with toxins.


THEN ONE DAY


Something happened that changed everything and started me on the path of health and wellbeing. A friend had invited me to a spirituality/health expo and we came across a beautician who had a competition to win a fat loss treatment and I went into the draw. Amazingly I won and I then spent 10 painful sessions lying on a table with electrode pads zapping me every few seconds. Not the quick and easy weight loss treatment I had hoped for. But what she did do for me was to introduce me to some natural skin and health care products as well as taking me along to some talks about health and wellbeing. That sparked something inside of me and got my curiosity going.


I DECIDED TO START CHANGING MY WAYS


I became vegetarian and even tried being a vegan for a while. I started exercising regularly and lost weight and started feeling much healthier and better about myself. I was using lots of natural products and buying some organic food. I did some studies and research into health and natural remedies and I thought I had all the answers. Unfortunately not everyone thought the same as me. It probably had something to do with my preaching that I had found the light and the way to health and that I was right and everyone else just needed to listen to me if they wanted to get healthy. This resulted in many debates and hurt feelings, both mine and others. I realised a valuable lesson. What was right for me was not necessary going to be right for everyone else and pushing my opinions was not going to make me any friends! I wanted to help others get healthy and I knew I had some valuable information to share, but I did not know to get my message across!


THEN AN OPPORTUNITY CAME MY WAY


A friend told me about a company selling a range of certified organic skin care, personal care and health care products. This was different to anything I had seen before and I quickly saw the potential benefits of using this amazing range of products. I immediately changed over all my skin care and personal care products to this new brand. With this company also came the opportunity to educate others about organics through selling the products.


I HAD THOUGHT THAT


If a product was sold in a shop then it would have to be safe. Surely the government wouldn't allow companies to sell products containing ingredients that could make us sick? I discovered that 'natural' and 'organic' products can still contain potentially toxic, cancer causing chemicals. This is because there is no regulation of the skin and personal care industry. It is up to the companies who make the products to ensure they are safe, however most seem to be more interested in profit than doing the right thing by us.


DID YOU KNOW THAT


One-third of all products contain one or more ingredients classified as possible human carcinogens? Also, nearly 70% of all products contain ingredients that can be contaminated with impurities linked to cancer and other health problems, and many of these impurities penetrate human skin. To make matters worse, 89% of the 10,500 ingredients used in personal care products have not been evaluated for safety. Even with those that have been tested, they have not been tested for safety being combined with a range of other potentially toxic chemicals in a cocktail of ingredients which are found in most products.


I LEARNT


With certified organic products, you are guaranteed that they are truly natural, synthetic free and safe for us and the environment. The plants used are grown and processed without the use of synthetic chemicals, pesticides, fertilisers or GMO's. Healthy soil grows healthy plants which when used/consumed by us leads to healthy people. Organic plants have been shown in a number of studies to contain more vitamins, nutrients and cancer fighting antioxidants than non-organic food. Organic systems work in harmony with nature, keeping harmful chemicals out of our land, water and air, creating a healthy environment rich in wildlife, woodlands and nutrients.


AND MOST IMPORTANT ARE OUR CHILDREN


Infants and children are more vulnerable to the toxins from pesticide residues and environmental chemicals. This is because of their larger intake of food per kilo of body weight. Also, as their bodies and critical organs are still in developmental stages, they are more susceptible to pesticide toxicity. The risk is further increased due to the main food groups that make up a toddlers diet: fruit and vegetables, with some of these having high levels of pesticide residues.


Having used this range of certified organic products since becoming pregnant with my son, I felt confident that he would grow up in a household free from many of the toxic chemicals in many homes these days, giving him a better chance of a healthy life. Also, I nourish his body with healthy, organic food, probiotics and anti-oxidants which has resulted in him being very healthy and avoiding recurrent childhood illnesses such as ear infections.


If we can reduce the amount of toxic chemicals we use on and in our bodies and our homes, we and our children will be happier and healthier and future generations will thank us for stopping this vicious cycle which is destroying our bodies and our planet.


If you would like to know more about these products and the Australian company that makes them, have a look at this website http://www.eternalharmony.com/ or call Lucy on 0407 740 732.


ORGANIC EMPIRE, organic home delivery melbourne

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the changes you have made in your life, particularly in the areas of nutrition and health! As you mentioned, this is a journey.As you consider skin care products, true organics can potentially have some difficulties. When exposed to air and human touch, they are more succeptible to spoilage. There are a few companies that try to stay as close to nature as possible and avoid all known harmful ingredients. I have a list of about 24 such ingredients (to avoid) available if you are open to some new options. In any case, best wishes on your journey and with your company.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete